Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hospice House


What a wonderful place!!!! My uncle Jackie has been staying in the Spartanburg Hospice House for the past week and a half. Everyone and everything there has been sweet and beautiful for him. The nurses and staff are wonderful and talented!! The facility is gorgeous and well thought out for the patients and families.

I have been blessed to have the morning shifts with Jackie while the children are in school. The first week he was still able to carry on conversations sometimes and it was very sweet to be able to spend time with him. This week is a little harder for him and the communication is almost completely gone. I spent a very quiet morning with him today and felt so blessed. First to have been blessed with a husband who sees the value in a woman staying home and not working in the work force. I also feel so blessed to be able to have these days to share with my family and be there for them. It was sweet to be able to sit by his bed today in the quiet. I've never been with someone dying before, it's an awesome experience to be able to be there. Just to hold their hands or give them a drink of water. I've always thought of myself as a person who can help children. Artie was the one who was good with older people. My thoughts have drastically changed this week. In some ways it is like a little baby again. Holding hands, rubbing backs and heads, in and out of bed, getting drinks, just giving love.

When I first found out I was pregnant and having a boy 17 years ago I was scared. All I knew was little girls. I didn't know you could love little boys. It feels the same way now. I didn't know you could enjoy being with some one knowing it was the end of their life. I am blessed!!!

2 comments:

Shay and Gwyn said...

I am so glad you are able to do this. This is the same place my Mama Tapp was when I got to come home from Costa Rica to spend a week with her. It is a wonderful place. Everyone will be in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I hope you're having a great day today and I think it is so wonderful that you're able to comfort your uncle this way.

I'm actually posting here as I couldn't find a way to contact you directly, but I am writing to find out if you have a recipe for homemade yeast? Connie Hultquist mentioned in one of her emails that she thought you made your own yeast, and I use a lot of it as I do most all my own baking. Any ideas or info on home made yeast?

Thanks!

Katarina