Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday's at the Quinn Lovliness Academy

We have dedicated Friday's at the Quinn Lovliness Academy to grandparents. We are rotating each Friday between Bobbie (Artie's mother) and Mimi and Granddaddy's (my grandparents - my daddy's parents). We have had such a fun time. We just had our second day at Bobbie's today. The girls are learning so much from them.

At Bobbie's today they practiced making biscuits and homemade gravy and their first big pot of chain gang potatoes (a staple for Artie growing up).

Bobbie told them the story of their grandfather Arthur's life growing up as a boy (a story all in it's own - Papa Quinn passed away when I was pregnant with Brenda). Brenda is writing a term paper this year on each of her grandparents' lives - a little each week and she will learn how to pull it all together at the end of the year.

They have pressed flowers (of course some of Granny's petunias) and have some projects planned to work on next time with them.

At Mimi's Brenda cooked homemade pudding for the first time and Emily got to use the electric hand mixer to mash the potatoes. They also cooked some creamed corn from Grandaddy's garden. Granddaddy told us the story of how he married Mimi five days after he returned from the war and how it cost him $2.50 to buy her (really the marriage liscence). It was a fun day there too.

I'm so sad that my camera is broke. I hope to be able to take some pictures soon. I think I'm going through withdrawal!! :-)

No comments: