Monday, June 21, 2010

Salsa

Getting ready to can the first salsa of the summer. I had to dig out my Linda Ferrari book, way way down in a stack of cookbooks - someone needs to come and clean my house while i play in the garden!!

Here's the recipe I use:

5 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and diced (about 16 to 17 medium size)

2 onions, diced (I puree mine because Artie can't find an onion in something I cook) :-)

1 can (7 ounces) chilies, diced (I use fresh banana peppers from the garden)

3 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon cracked pepper

2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1/2 cup vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I use cayenne peppers from our garden)

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Heat salsa just until hot. Ladle into jot jars. Clean rims, seal, and process in a water bath canner for 45 minutes.

Makes 6 pints



No comments: