Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Liturgical Year

I accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior when I was in second grade. I still plainly remember praying the sinner's prayer with my pastor in my little Baptist church and later being baptised.


Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing still remains the same - I love Jesus and want to the best of my knowledge follow Him and His teachings.


I was blessed to be brought up in church every Sunday, but have learned that I wasn't taught all that was in the Bible. I can remember the day that I first talked with a friend named Robbie about God at church camp. I had never had a conversation about God that I could remember with another person - outside of my salvation prayer. He was real in my heart, but not a conversation to be spoken about. I like the song by Avalon "Everything To Me" - Jesus became more than a story. He jumped off the page to me that day. There was no turning back.






When I got to college, I was continually challenged. I joined Campus Crusade and was expected to share my faith. That was so funny to me - I wasn't (still not) one to talk with people I didn't know. My best friend - Daria (a true evangelist) - would make me go with her to talk to girls in our dorm. We would walk in to McDonald's and Daria would say "Let's go sit with that girl all alone, I'm sure God brought us all together for this". Kelly, full of faith, would say "You go ahead, I'll wait here" Daria was so good and patient with me. I ended up in New York City for the summer, sharing about Jesus with everyone I met from men in homeless shelters to officials in the UN building. I still don't talk with strangers much, now mostly my children - my true disciples.


After college I joined a non-denomination church and a whole new world of the Bible opened up to me. Praise and Worship was wonderful. I felt like I could reach up and touch the hem of God's garment. It was as if Jesus was physically in the room. It was such a growing time. I learned of God's power to heal, our responsibility to tithe, the wonderfulness (I know that's not a real word - but it was a real feeling!) of a home group - like in Acts 2.


We've been out of church several years now (another post later maybe) and have had to seek God on my own and with Artie. Still more growth. I have learned that I don't have to have a room full of people or a pastor to teach me about the scriptures. I learned about being mentored by a Titus 2 woman and the joy and privilege of being a Keeper at Home. God kept teaching me more and more.


Lately I've been learning about how the Bible fits in with our year - the liturgical year - the Biblical calendar year. I had heard of that before, but had no idea what it was or how it fit in with my life. I have met some Catholic ladies online and have learned so much from them. I love the way they fit Jesus and the Bible into their everyday lives. My two favorites are Dawn and Elizabeth. So, in our school we have been learning together. We dove into Advent the first day of December and were so blessed. We followed with Christmas and Ephinany, and I guess in a way - Ordinary Time as well. The girls and I learned together during the week and then the whole family joined in on Sundays.


So, sometimes I wonder why I wasn't taught all this growing up. (Here is a good article talking about some of this) God is so vast, I guess I will always continue to learn more and more.


So, the next season in the liturgical year is new to me. Lent??? We've always celebrated Easter, but never the preparation period before. So, I would love to hear if your family observes Lent. What do you do? We're at a new (to us) church, so I don't know what they will do. Guess I will wait and learn. Our new church did celebrate Advent each Sunday, so who knows.





I will try and blog a little of what we learn and do. Now that Troy will be home for school too, I think this will be a wonderful time to focus on Jesus each day and remember all He gave for us.

No comments: