Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ready for Spring

I read one blog post today about planting lettuce and spring fever hit all at once. This is our third year gardening. I am excited to be able to blog my way through it this year and hopefully use it as a guide for myself the following years. We have added more and more veggies and herbs each year. Last year, aside from the southern drought, was a good year - except for the tomatoes.

So, Emily, Troy and I ran to Wal-Mart and picked up a few seeds.


We are going to experiment with more lettuce this year. Spinach is all we've done so far. Today we got Spinach, Salad Bowl Lettuce, Swiss Chard - Neon Lights Mix and Great Lakes Lettuce.



The Swiss Chard looks so cool - I don't think I've ever seen this before. The littles will love it!!!


We also picked up some packs of pansys to intermingle with the lettuces and some for the front flower beds. (I also couldn't help picking up some more shasta daisys. I love daisys)

When we began gardening - it was with Brenda's school. We read through the Square Foot Gardening Book and went from there. Like I said earlier, each year we are adding a little more as we learn. We all so love to get out in the dirt. I can't wait to start on our squares tomorrow - getting the soil ready.
Here are a couple of pictures from the previous years preparation. The Barefoot Gardener, Brenda, Square Foot Gardening Hopefully this year, I will be together enough to get some picturess after the goodies grow!!! :-)

No comments: